It’s scientifically proven that first impressions count, but last impressions count more. Thanks to the recency effect, humans tend to place more importance on information or experiences they had last. So make your wedding send-off count — it might just be one of the most memorable activities of the whole event! Read on to get inspiration from fun, awe-inspiring, and unique wedding exit ideas that are sure to impress guests.
In this post, we include 36 unique wedding exit ideas covering a wide variety of eco-friendly, budget-conscious, and far-out suggestions that any wedding theme or style can use. The suggestions work both during the day and at night, so the time of day shouldn’t be a factor! Just remember to ask your wedding venue for permission ahead of time. Also, look into local laws and regulations before you buy items you plan to toss or release in any way.
The perfect-for-you wedding send-off plan includes all of the following elements:
Aisle or pathway decor that sets the mood for your departure
Tossables or something your wedding guests can hold so they can actively participate in the exit
Super photogenic props to capture this magical moment
Transportation to whisk you and your partner away to the next activity
Make a lasting memory with any of these unique wedding exit ideas:
1. Have guests create an arch above your heads using plastic or foam swords. You can also give your bridal party crowns and tiaras to complete the royal or pirate theme.
2. If you don’t mind getting a little wet, hand out some miniature water pistols to start a water fight with guests. You and your partner should surprise them with super soakers, of course. Hand out towels too for those caught off guard.
3. Ask everyone to hold custom lighters like they’re at a concert or swap real flames for cell phone flashlights. Play romantic and soft rock music — maybe even a recording from a live concert!
4. Have circus performers do a quick show. If a magician is involved, they can make you and your partner “disappear.”
5. If appropriate for your culture, light incense, sage, or palo santo for your send-off.
6. Hire a horse and carriage to whisk you away at the end of the night.